Wednesday, May 30, 2007

What Was She Thinking?




This post isn't just about Kelsey....Just a whole bunch of random thoughts that have been circling my mind lately....


1) I spent 2 hours at the DMV inspections this afternoon. During that time I encountered....
a) a parent who brought her 2 year old adorable daughter with her without snacks, drinks or toys to play with. The poor kid was acting up because she was bored. When I started talking to the little girl, her mother called her "bad!" Talk about a self-fulfilling prophesy! Luckily for the Mom, I always have a few toys in my purse for Kelsey and let her little one read a book while we waited for our cars. Oh, and Mom of the year's battery went dead during the inspection and asked ME if I could jump her....Sorry I am not prepared for all on the road situations!

b) Another family who brought their 18 month old son clad only in his diaper. Yes, it was hot about 88 degrees. But if it's 110 in the shade, I would never dress Kelsey in only her diaper in public! Why would a family even bring their child to an inspection station? That's one place that if you have the option....take the poor baby someplace else while YOU go. (Kelsey was at daycare while I was at inspection)

2) Kelsey has a temper. I realize that all children do, but apparently, she likes to wail on one little boy in particular. Poor Sweet Garrett! His Crime? Not giving her a ball or a watering can she wanted. 2 weeks ago she bit him on his stomach. No blood was drawn. Today she scratched him and drew blood. I was horrified/mortified when her sitter told me this. Garrett is fine, and we waited for his Mommy so I could apologize to her too. Kelsey did say she was sorry and gave him a hug, but she doesn't understand what this means yet, she only did this because I prompted her and she was the center of attention. This is an important lession I need to teach her, but I need to see it myself so I can catch her in the act. Her sitter says all kids act this way, but Kelsey's targeting one child and one spot on his body...What is she thinking? She can be the sweetest child in the world...just don't cross her... We did have a conversation about this in the bathtub this evening. I need to watch this behavior like a hawk.

3) People go out of their way to be silly for my child's amusement. It's like living with a Rock Star....she has quite the entourage where ever we go. Two men at Applebees were ridiculously silly in their attempts to make her smile. Sweet, but definately not necessary, as we had apple juice, broccoli and ice cream as part of the meal.

4) Kurt's been away in Chicago this week and she's asking for him. Last night she pulled off a photo of us from the bookshelf and said "Dada" and kissed it. So sweet!

5) I've spent every moment since Saturday either shopping, doing home improvement or gardening. I"ve had a few days off from work and am supposed to go back tomorrow, but I haven't finished one project yet, so I'm taking the morning to complete it and working from home. Gotta love flex schedules!

6) Poor Kelsey had a fun, but hazardous weekend. It started Friday with a fall at the sitter's and she had an egg on her forehead and a scrape under her nose. Saturday, she was playing in her beloved water table while Mommy did some gardening and was bitten a few times by mosquitos. Sunday am, the bites were inflamed, angry and raised. I was going to call the dr, but a girlfriend told me her daughter has the same condition...an allergy to mosquitos. Yikes. Hopefully she'll outgrow that. I've put benydrill lotion on it and the bites are definately getting smaller and less red/angry. Finally on Monday, Tana (our white deaf kitty) chomped down on her wrist and delivered 2 puncture wounds. Kelsey didn't really deserve this...but Tana is a little more skittish being deaf, Kelsey does sneak up on her and tick her off. Kelsey just loves petting the cats and doesn't understand the back off signals yet. She was sitting with me on the couch watching TV and Tana came over to me wanted a snuggle, Kelsey wanted to pet her and Tana didn't want her to. Kelsey is fine, the wound was tiny and not a drop of blood was raised...I washed it with antibacterial soap and put a bandaid on it. They are practically invisible now. Things really do come in 3's.

On the plus side, she saw her "beloved" Jake be confirmed and got to jump on a trampoline for the first time. She also doesn't love slip n slides (good!)because she got water in her face.
The photos above are Kelsey and her cousin Marina at Marina's First Holy Communion. Marina looked beautiful and did a great job! I can't believe she's getting so big! (and NO, the woman in the pink shirt is NOT me!)
Kelsey's been fighting going to bed lately. Kurt's decided to extend her bedtime half an hour to 45 minutes. The past few nights have been hard, but tonight at 8:45 she went down like an angel. Whew!
JoAnn

No comments: