Saturday, October 14, 2006

Kelsey's 100 Good Wishes Quilt


While we were waiting for China to process our paperwork and give us our referral (match us to a baby) I decided to do a traditional 100 Good Wishes Quilt.

A tradition in China, is that when a baby is born, friends and family give the baby's family a scrap of cloth and a wish. The scraps of fabric are then sewn into a quilt for the baby, who literally comes home wrapped in the good wishes of the family.

This is the front of the quilt and you can see the squares that everyone gave us. Included in the scrapbook are wishes and a piece of the fabric, so we can see which fabric corelated to which wish/person.

I spent about 4 months getting the fabrics/wishes from friends and family and also participated in a lot of swaps from different groups online. The outcome was well worth the effort and I got Kelsey's quilt about a month before we left for China.

I scrapbooked the wishes and completed that project right before my baby shower. People were very touched by the wishes, some were absolutely lovely!

This is a great gift that I am honored to give my daughter. I am incredibly proud of this quilt.

No comments: