- Thursday was my Mom's 75th birthday. My sister Janet and I took her to an early dinner and then to the NJ State Theater to see Kenny Rogers. We joked about going, but really, it was a great show. Kenny is a great entertainer and was very funny. Plus he did several sets of his hits and then several sets of Christmas songs/carols. All in all a good time.
- One of the songs Kenny sang (as a duet with Wynnonah Judd on video) is "Mary Did You Know" which is a song about the Virgin Mother. This was a new song for me and one of the lines moved me incredibly "Mary, did you know when you kissed your sweet baby that you were kissing the face of God?" Wow. It made me tear up for 2 reasons. First of all, perspective. Think of a new young Mother in an ancient scary time. Giving birth in incredibly humble beginnings. In an unbelieveable way. And then, that sweet baby face - the face of the Christ. Could she have known or even imagined?
- The 2nd reason that line in the song made me tear up is I immediately imagined kissing my baby's cheeks. While I realize my beloved Angel Face is not a "real angel" I was thinking about how miraculous her birth and adoption is to our family. She is a living breathing act of faith to me. And a miracle in many ways. She brings our family such joy and happiness. Everytime I kiss her face I say of prayer of thanks.
- However, Kelsey's sleep difficulties continue to challenge us. She needs to sleep at least 10-12 hours at a stretch in order to be her usual sunny self. However Kelsey doesn't like to go to sleep until after 9 and sometimes she'll push past 11pm. Yesterday (Saturday) was a really bad day and all of us cried, got angry or were very frustrated.
- Amazon.com is my hero this holiday season - so many great gifts at fairly inexpensive prices. Hallelujah!
- Kelsey talks in her sleep - sometimes she sings in her sleep. I find this much more amusing than when she kicks me in her sleep.
- I have baby lust. I think this is normal as Kelsey is almost 3.5 years old and while a little girl - she isn't a baby anymore. While I love my girl - I miss her babyhood. I didn't think this would hit me because I am an older Mom and we didn't go through the normal biological process - wrongo! Hopefully it will fade soon.
- Work is going well - in a few days we will come to the first anniversary of my Christmas miracle.
- I made incredible cookies on Saturday for the Church's annual cookie walk - oatmeal with raisins, craisins and white chocolate chips - they are soft chewy bites of heaven. i never thought this kind of cookie would ring my chimes - I'm such a chocolate girl...but I've been craving oatmeal raisin - but only if they're soft and chewy.
- For the first time in many years I am not hosting Christmas day. I'm okay with someone else taking their turn.
- The house is mostly decorated. I was going to do much more (and I have MUCH MUCH more) but I decided to keep it on the down low this year.
- We did the tree Saturday evening and Kelsey had a great time looking at the ornaments. She hung many of them and keeps going back to the tree to touch and play with them. We didn't have anything breakable (as in glass) but I don't want her to think of the Christmas tree ornaments as toys.
- Hopefully your holiday season is going swimmingly and your shopping is done and you're thinking of having a wrap party.
Monday, December 15, 2008
Some bullets to tide me over